Saturday, May 20, 2006

0520

Alex woke up last evening at 9:30, crying, and it took me a good 10 minutes just to calm him down. I have no idea what upset him - teething? Nightmare? Who knows? But he fell back asleep and slept well the rest of the night. I've become very accustomed to waking up at 6am, right when the city comes alive with noises, or at least it does during the week. This morning, I didn't wake up until around 6:45, and the silence of the city on a Saturday morning really struck me.

Anyway, last evening I emailed everyone in our playgroup to see if anyone wanted to go to the zoo. I only got one response (not sure if I emailed everyone, actually, or just a subset,) but I met up with Rachel and her daughter Maeve across from the prairie dog area. Maeve is 1 year old, and it was great for Alex to hang out with her (and it gave me a chance to talk to one of the playgroup people that I haven't really talked to.) We spent an hour or so feeding the babies various foods, then walked around the rainforest exhibit, which I hadn't been to before. There are some gigantic fish in the Amazon, apparently (see photo of the fish here.) The other animals were in hiding, except the stingrays, but Alex loved the giant tanks of water and looking at the cool fish. We'll have to go back sometime!

Then back home for naptime followed by dinner & video conference with Angela. She was able to sing to him, read him a book, and interact quite nicely. I suppose this will be what it's like for all of us once our brains are put into robots for all of eternity. Hmmm...

David came over just before Alex fell asleep, made a delicious Thai red curry dish for us to eat, and hung out for a bit.




No comments: